Monday, January 10, 2011

26 weeks!

How big is baby?
He is about 14 inches and weighs 1 2/3 pounds - think English hothouse cucumber. And slightly larger eggplant.
What is baby up to?
His sense of hearing is now developed enough to hear a conversation between Jared and I. He is also practicing breathing amniotic fluid in and out of his lungs to prepare for breathing air.
Movement?
His official favorite location to hang out is right under my ribs. And his kicks tickle me and make me jump at inappropriate times.
Best moment of the week?
Jared being awesome while I'm on bedrest.
Update:
My blood pressure was still up on Friday. I had to go in for some more testing at the hospital (blood/urine sample) and also got to do a wonderful 24-hour urine sample all day Saturday. Eesh.

So far, the decision is to put me on "modified bedrest," which involves working as little as possible and spending the rest of the time laying down. I have to monitor my blood pressure 3 times every day and I will go back in on Friday for another checkup.

If things don't improve, or if my tests come back with bad results, I will most likely be placed on strict bedrest. The major risk is developing preeclampsia. Check out this site for more information on that:  
Preeclampsia is more risk to me than the baby, but the only "cure" for preeclampsia is delivering the baby. It's way too early for that, so we're praying everything will be ok. 

I spent the weekend laying on the couch (rather than going shopping for baby stuff as we had originally planned), watching TV/movies and reading books. That's the plan every night until Friday. I'll update as soon as I find out more.
On a more positive note...
We're supposed to get more snow tomorrow night (possibly up to 4 inches) and that would probably mean another snow day. Hooray for snow!

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know that I'm following you on your blog and I'm thinking of you! I hope your tests come back ok so you don't have to be put on bedrest. Will you be back in the midwest any time before you deliver?
    -Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'll need to stay close to my hospital just in case something happens. Luckily, it's 5 minutes from home and 15-20 minutes from work. I'm thinking about a trip home this summer, depending on how well everything goes with the rest of the pregnancy and if we can find cheap plane tickets.

    ReplyDelete